Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dating

For the first time in my life, I have been. Have I met some great people? Yes. Have I had fun? Yes. Do I particularly enjoy it? No.

I have never, in my entire life, had to "play the field." I've never had to search for romantic companionship. Somehow, I have always found decent guys and spend a good chunk of time with them. I've never had to work.

That being said, I had a conversation with Stephanie last night about the strange occurrence in which unattractive, selfish, terrible girls can find good guys willing to date them. Meanwhile, Stephanie and I are two attractive, nice, smart, funny girls who are sitting watching TV, eating ice cream in our fleece blankets on a Sunday night. I've known awful, unpleasant girls who have managed to get some of those great guys and string them along for months before the guy gets the balls to give up on it.

And, it happens. People want someone. Even jerks want companionship. The great guys will swear that there is some good in there, underneath all of that yuckiness. And I'm no image of perfection, either. I can be lazy. I don't always think before I speak. I expect a lot of the guys I date. I feel as though I am worth it.

Dating, for me, has been 50/50. I've "met" guys in all kinds of settings. I've been asked out by a guy who worked at Target. He pleased me with his straightforwardness, but overall he come on too strong, and I hadn't been single for long enough to seriously date anyone. I've danced with those random guys at clubs. I've made out with just-friends guy. I've been asked out by more than one just-friends guy. I've met multiple guys online, through eHarmony and OKCupid. I joined both as a result of nudges from friends who had success. How much can you really find out from a picture and a preconceived write-up?

In retrospect, I can't complain. I have had options. However, due to my past experiences, I am now pickier. I am fairly certain of what I am looking for. There are factors that I am willing to sway on, but I've been through too much to settle.

My very first date after getting out of a 4-year relationship was promising. We talked online and he seemed smart, witty, and really insightful. We met in Cambridge, where we wandered around and grabbed a beer. Smart and witty, he was. Insightful turned out to be just plain dull. His insights ranged from commenting on the women next to us and why they ordered the drinks they did, to the couple at the bar and why they ordered the drinks they did. The date ended early and amicably, which a gracious thank you and a good luck.

Speaking of promising, right before the new year, I met John. John was witty. Smart. Attractive. Tech-savvy. Charming. Caring. Relaxed. The guy I wanted to meet. For our first date, he came to Brighton. We had dinner. We laughed. I liked his face. He kissed me goodnight and I wanted him to kiss me more. On later dates, he kissed me when he left the room. He put his hand on that spot on my back. He rested his head on my lap while we talked about video games and watched TV on his silly iPhone. He was planning to come to the city for new years. Meet my friends. Sleep over. It was a plan. Until it wasn't. Until he felt sick and didn't want to travel. Until he stopped calling and stopped answering texts. People ask me what happened with him, and I just shrug.

Next, was one guy who was way too nice, one guy who was too young and too much of a jerk, and one who I could never date but do really enjoy sparring with.

In my head, there are others. Those who I toss around weekly, daily; who I see and I wonder; who I doubt I'll ever do anything about. They're the ones I don't put in writing, because once it's in writing it is real. In my head, they are protected, and I am protected.

So, I'm dating. I'm still dating. I'm still not particularly enjoying it. The not knowing. I'm not enjoying the not knowing. I miss the knowing. The constant. The security. It's in there, somewhere, and it wants out. And I keep telling it to shut the hell up and be patient.

Story of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment